StatCounter

Saturday, December 30, 2017

A New Year, A New Word









     I've noticed lately that in addition to having resolutions for the New Year, some people choose a word that they want to live by for that year.  I put a lot of thought into what I think my word should be for 2018.  The one that kept coming to mind? Joy.
     Joy is one of those self-descriptive words.  When you see or hear the word "joy", your thinking doesn't shift to rain clouds and gray skies. It thinks of things that make you happy, things that bring you joy.
     Here are some of my favorite quotes on joy:


http://qqq.quotepixel.com/images/quotes/love/sayings-joy-seems-to-me_3414-0.png
    





 

 Joy is not always an easy choice, let me tell you.  Especially when things just don't seem to go our way.
We find ourselves asking, " How can I possibly be happy in a situation like this? Anyone else in my shoes would be complaining and getting upset! Why can't I do the same?

The truth is, we can still be upset over things that disappoint us.  Maybe you studied really hard for a test, and just didn't get the grade you were hoping for?  Maybe you chose to put your trust in someone, and things just didn't work out?  Maybe you had plans to go to a certain school, or apply for a certain job, just to get turned down?

Of course, any of these things would upset someone!  I'm not saying that when something bad happens, we just be unrealistic and tell others that it didn't upset us. We need to be okay with feeling the feelings of disappointment, so that we don't squash them down and ultimately end up more upset than we were.


There are so many Scriptures that I am learning, well-known and ones I had forgotten, that remind me that joy can always be found.
In Psalm 30:5 it says that "Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning."
In Habakkuk 3:17-19, we're told that whatever we are going through, no matter how much things seem against us, "Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will JOY in the God of my salvation."
And in James 1:2-3, "My brethren, count it all JOY when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience."

Trials are not easy, but they can also teach us many lessons that we may never have learned otherwise. Speaking for myself, I feel like with each trial, I grow closer to my Heavenly Father. No matter what happens in this life, He is always faithful, He will never disappoint.
Nehemiah 8:10, "The JOY of the Lord is your strength."

The greatest gift I have been given on this earth is the opportunity to learn the Gospel. No matter what I am facing, as a Christian striving to do what is right, I have the promise of a home in Heaven. Forever! Do you know what a wonderful thought that is? 
Matthew 5:12, Luke 2:10, John 15:11, and 1 Peter 1:8 all give me this hope and a reason to live with joy in my heart.

These are some of the many reasons that I want joy to be such a big part of my life in 2018. I wish all of you a joy-filled and blessed 2018!💕

No comments:

Post a Comment